Sunday, May 18, 2008

Week 2: Article Review 1: Social Networking

Morrison, B. B., & Weaver, A. C. (February 2008). Social Networking. Computer.
This article was quite interesting in the fact that I never realized how much the computer has changed communication. I started playing on the computer back in elementary school and remember sending emails to my grandmother on a server called Prodigy, from that I remember when AOL (American Online) came out and that was when instant messaging people became big. It was a way to connect with friends and family that could have lived miles away or just next door. From instant messaging I joined the whole MySpace phenomenon. I really have enjoyed staying connected with my friends and with MySpace it has given me the opportunity to stay connected with friends from high school. What was extremely interesting of this article was learning how many individuals have personal profiles online, according to Morrison and Weaver they states that more than half of Americans aged 12 to 17 use online social networking (such as MySpace, Facebook and etc) and that 55% of teens have created a personal profile online. This was an amazing number to find out, no wonder why parents have huge worry of privacy and making sure teens are safe. I have heard many horror stories about teens being attacked by online predators, and just to think of when I was a kid that I probably have had online predators watching me because my profiles were so honest. Now this article wasn’t discussing much about online predators but it did discuss how some of the online social networks have privacy restrictions.
I finally realized why my professors have always said that you cannot use Wikipedia as a reference. I had always thought it was a normal encyclopedia just like Britannica, but in fact it is not, there are many people that can openly edit and create changes within the server. So, there is a huge opportunity of fallacies within the content compared to using a trusted encyclopedia.

1 comment:

Danine Marie said...

You mentioned online predators; while you pointed out that it wasn't really discussed in the article, you make a frightening and good point. It is scary to think that we ourselves might have been prey to these online predators, but it is not far from the truth. Of course we may not know it, but as we have children or become increasingly involved with the younger generation, we should most definitely be aware and make them aware of the "online dangers" so to speak. Great point Tine!